- The animated Christmas card created by the boys over the course of the episode is actually The Spirit of Christmas: Jesus vs. Santa, an early forerunner to South Park created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone in 1995.
- The plot of this episode unfolds like a fanciful re-telling of the making of Jesus vs. Santa, with Stan Marsh and Kyle Broflovski standing in for Parker and Stone, respectively. Butters also appears as a stand-in for animation director Eric Stough. At the end of the episode Stan and Kyle refuse an offer to make a television series based on their short film.
- When Stan and Kyle are doing the voices for the special, they read lines from the part of the play after Kenny was killed. Later in the song we see that Kenny is killed, but then Stan and Kyle say they will kill him off in the film, implying that the events of the song aren't in order.
- Stan and Kyle providing the voices of all the children in the group is a reference to Trey Parker (upon whom Stan is based) and Matt Stone (upon whom Kyle is based) voicing all of the characters in the South Park prototype shorts.
References to Popular Culture编辑
- "The Circle of Poo" is a parody of "The Circle of Life" and "We are One" from The Lion King and The Lion King II: Simba's Pride.
- Much of the plot, as well as the song "Even a Miracle Needs a Hand" come from the 1974 Rankin-Bass special Twas the Night Before Christmas.
- The face Kyle makes during the song "Even A Miracle Needs A Hand" is based on the facial designs of characters from 1970s Rankin-Bass specials.
- When the boys walk through the sewer, music from "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from The Nutcracker ballet is played.
- It was revealed in this episode that Stan has blue eyes and black hair.
- This episode features the last time Cartman says his catchphrase, "Screw you guys, I'm going home" for nearly a decade until "Crack Baby Athletic Association".
- A poster of the Sexual Harassment Panda appears in Butters' room.
- In the first few wide shots of the drive-in movie theater, Cartman can be seen standing with Stan and Kyle but is not seen in the close-up of them.
- Ran over by truck while performing the The Spirit of Christmas with Stan and Kyle. The usual lines are not said instead Stan says "It's okay we just had has character die in the film" so they would not have to re shot anything.